How to Delete Cookies?
What is a cookie?
Cookies are small-sized files that various portals put on the hard disk of the computer, when the user enters the site for the first time. The cookie can conveniently be compared with an identity card that is unique for each person. The primary task of a cookie is to inform the portal when a specific user visits the site again. Notwithstanding the fact that cookies by themselves do not cause any harm, yet; there is a possibility that they can be misused. This possibility is even more if some personal information is stored in it. With the help of cookies, the administrators of websites get to know about the preferences of diverse visitors. The best way in which one can understand the working of cookies is to see the feature of shopping cart that several online sellers have. On a visit to the site, a person can select some items in the shopping cart and then leave. When they return to the portal after few days the person gets to see that the items are still present in the cart. This is possible because of the cookies.
What is the purpose of a cookie?
The primary purpose of a cookie is to identify the persons visiting the website, and in some cases, also to provide customized web pages for people. The user is requested to furnish their details in a form, and the cookie then takes in this information and transfers the same to the user’s browser. On the user’s subsequent visit to the portal, the user’s browser moves the cookie towards the web server. Then, it is very much likely that the person can get to see pages that have been specifically made for them, rather than the general welcome page.
How to delete cookies in Internet Explorer 8 and 9?
The following are the steps involved in deleting cookies from Internet Explorer 8 and 9:
1) First, one needs to open the Internet Explorer.
2) After that, the Tools menu has to accessed, and then Internet Options needs to be selected. This would open the window of Internet Options.
3) Subsequent to that and being at the general tab itself, the Delete button has to be clicked. The Delete Browsing History window then gets opened.
4) In the next step, the Cookies Box has to be selected for deletion
5) Subsequently, when the Delete button is clicked, all the cookies get deleted. The OK button then needs to be pressed and finally one can close the window Internet Options.
How to delete cookies in Firefox 3.5, 4 and 5?
The ensuing are the steps that need to be followed for deleting cookies from Firefox 3.5, 4 and 5:
1) The Firefox has to be first opened.
2) The Tools menu then needs to be accessed and after that Clear Recent History must be selected.
3) In the subsequent step, the Details drop-down arrow should be clicked.
4) After that, the Cookies box has to be checked
5) Finally, the Clear Now button needs to be clicked
How to delete cookies in Google Chrome?
The below-mentioned are the steps involved in deleting cookies specified by the users, from Google Chrome:
1) Firstly, the Wrench Icon has to be clicked by the user, and which is located at the extreme left of address bar. This enables in gaining access to Settings menu, and after that, Options, which are included in drop-down menu, need to be selected.
2) After accessing the Options menu, Under the Hood has to be selected. This opens up a broad menu of various technical customizations.
3) At this point, at Under the Hood, the Content Settings have to be clicked, and this opens up one more menu. It has to be mentioned that, from here, the user is not that far from deleting the cookies.
4) From the Content Settings, All Cookies and Site Data needs to be opened up. This brings out a comprehensive list of all the cookies that are there in the computer. The cookies are arranged in an alphabetic manner, based on the portal names.
5) From here, it is very convenient for the user to have a look at the entire list and select all the cookies that they prefer to delete. Once the selection is complete, the user needs to reach the lowermost part of the list where, they get to see another small menu. Then, either Remove or Remove All can be selected for deletion of cookies. The first of the options deletes only those cookies selected by the user, while Remove All deletes the total list. If cookies related to a particular portal need to be removed, the website folder needs to be highlighted and then Remove must be clicked.
These are some general tips pertaining to deleting cookies, and it is strongly recommended that the users do follow them:
1) First and foremost, the users should be fully aware of the benefits of cookies explained in the first two parts of this write-up.
2) It is preferable that users delete only the bad cookies while allowing the good ones to be there in the computer.
3) When cookies are deleted at regular time intervals, then the bad cookies cannot enter into the computer.
4) Several browsers support a feature where, the users are facilitated to select portals from where cookies can be permitted. It is better if users utilize this feature.